Friday, September 15, 2017

Galacto Girl Goes To Preschool

Galacto Girl Goes to Preschool? Well that doesn't seem right. Didn't I just do a blog post a couple months ago about Galacto Girl going to daycare? Oh that was a year and a half ago? Alrighty then...

So, September 5 Francesca had her first day of all-day Preschool. It was less than two weeks after we decided to see if it was even a possibility.

Chris and I had talked in passing a couple times about the fact that we should look into it. But it wasn't until less than two weeks before school started that I made the call. It was mostly prompted by my frustration and discomfort with daycare. While they have been wonderful to FJ and good about her dietary restrictions - there had been a lot of turnover with both the teachers in the rooms and the director and assistant director. I understand that turnover happens, but it felt like all the people who were there when FJ started - the people who really loved her and were aware of the Galactosemia were gone. And it was exhausting and worrisome wondering if the new teachers were up to speed and if the directors really understood the condition. So, it was a combination of that and the fact that I knew she was getting attached to her friends at daycare and it would be harder for her to leave in another year - I made the call.

They returned my call on Monday and said because they had just had a family withdrawal - they had one open spot. Sure felt like a "God thing." And that was just the first of many. We arranged for Chris to pick up the necessary paperwork and when he was at the school to pick up the paperwork the teacher was there. He was able to talk to her and explain FJ's Galactosemia. Then a couple days later my mom took Francesca for a walk to play at the park and see where she would be going to school. As they were reading the sign on the door a woman came to the door and asked if they needed anything. My mom explained Francesca was going to be starting Preschool there. It was Francesca's teacher - so she was able to meet her.

The only person who wasn't going to meet the teacher before school was mama. I was going to be out of town for work for a few days. During that time Chris would take FJ to the orientation and have a one-on-one meeting with the teacher. I struggled with a lot of mom guilt, but I had work commitments and I knew I would be there for the first day of school, which was the most important thing. 

The night before she started school I began to panic. I wanted to make sure they had information that explained FJ's condition. There were a few "teachers' guides" and other information online but most of them were for kids who had known delays, which she doesn't at this time, or very complex info. So it was a late night - but I created an overview document that explained the condition, FJ's journey, delays we were watching for, restricted foods and then a page of approved and not approved snacks, based on their calendar. Lunches wouldn't be a problem because she would bring her own lunch but some of the snacks were definitely off limits, so I made sure to cross off everything FJ couldn't eat and highlight the items she could, on the monthly calendar.

Francesca was super excited to start preschool. She would be going on Monday, Tuesday and Friday
all day (8:30-3:30) and then to after care until 6. She would still go to my parents' house on Wednesday and Thursday. We explained that she wouldn't be going to daycare anymore but she would have new teachers and meet new friends. She told us on several occasions that she was excited but "might be a little scared." Me too baby, me too. The first day drop off went very well. Francesca didn't cry at all...and mama mostly held it together. I worked from home that day and at 3:45 we got an email from her teacher with the subject "accident". Turns out our potty trained girl had pooped her pants during rest time...and she was wide awake.

Okay...probably just nerves and the new routine. Right? Got another email on Friday the first week - Madame Poops Her Pants had made a return - pooping her pants during rest time. What in the actual?! I was really afraid we were going to get kicked out. We talked about it with her and reminded her she needed to tell her teacher or an assistant when she had to go potty, she said she understood. LIAR LIAR PANTS ON FIRE (and full of poop). So, on Monday I refresh my email about every 3 seconds around the time we would get the poop alert - and finally we do - to let us know that she didn't have an accident. WOOT! I remember how when she was little and was constipated we would joke about a "poop party" when she finally went. I didn't ever think I would be having a "no poop party" when she was three. But, here I was - damn near ready to throw her a party for not pooping her pants.

But then Tuesday came. This was a little different because we didn't get an email from the teacher about it, in fact Chris did get one that said she didn't have an accident. But when I went to pick her up she was in different pants and I had a suspect stinky plastic bag to take home. Gagsville. So, I ask FJ when she pooped her pants. "I didn't poop my pants!" was the reply. "Well, I have a stinky bag of your clothes and some poop marks that tell me different." "NO MAMA, I DIDN'T POOP MY PANTS" - great Madame Poops Her Pants is now also a big fat (and angry) liar.

When she went back on Friday (today) I didn't have high hopes, mostly because I knew she hadn't pooped since Tuesday. And I was right...another email about her pooping her pants during rest time. NOW I'M PANICKING - it's week two and there is no improvement. How long can I keep telling myself that it is because of the new routine?! And although I don't remember seeing anything about kids needing to be potty trained, I know that is usually a preschool prerequisite. So, I reply to the teacher and pretty much apologize and ask if she's going to get kicked out. A response comes a few hours later - she has some ideas for what they can try over the next couple weeks and no, she's not going to be kicked out. SHOOOO - a huge sigh of relief for this mama. Her teacher mentioned maybe she doesn't like going with all the other kids in the bathroom - which hadn't really dawned on me but Chris noted that the bathroom at daycare was only a single stall, she didn't have to worry about others being there. Maybe that's the issue. So the teacher is going to wait until all the kids are down for rest time and then take her and see if that makes a difference.

I have to be honest. I've said a lot of prayers in my life - but I never expected to beg God to help my child not poop her pants. But here we are...on the third night (or more) of that prayer. And this is a doozy of one for him to take His time answering. I'm hoping next week is better and sooo thankful her teacher has been wonderful and understanding.

Overall the communication with the teacher has been amazing. Aside from the "your kid pooped herself again" emails, she also let us know a couple times when snack changed and Francesca was able to have it - or an email to tell us on the days when she couldn't have snack, what they substituted based on the allowed/not allowed list I provided them. It has all been very reassuring.

So next week will be week three. Really hoping it will be a poop-in-the-toilet-not-in-your-pants kind of week, but only time will tell. In the meantime, if anyone has any tips to help Madame Poops Her Pants, I'll take them. Also, I can't wait to show her this blog on her high school graduation. Unless she's still pooping her pants, then it won't be so funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Patient Voices in Drug Research: Our Story Featured on Patients Rising Podcast

  A few weeks ago I sat down with co-host of Patients Rising Podcast, Bob Goldberg. I had prepared remarks based on a list of questions, but...